J. Duncan Pitchford
Duncan was born and raised in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Upon graduation from law school, he relocated to Paducah and served as law clerk to the Hon. Thomas B. Russell, United States District Court Judge for the Western District of Kentucky, for two years. After working for two years for a large regional law firm in Louisville, Mr. Pitchford returned to Paducah in 2004 to join Whitlow, Roberts, Houston & Straub. He became a member of the firm in 2007, and assumed an Of-Counsel status in 2014.
Mr. Pitchford enjoys extensive experience in business formation, mergers and acquisitions as well as both documenting and litigating varied contractual relationships among business interests. He was recently recognized as a “Rising Star” in Business/Corporate Law in Kentucky by SuperLawyers for 2014 and 2015. As counsel for both local and regional banks, Mr. Pitchford assists in a wide variety of lending transactions, from both asset-backed and mortgage secured term financing to operating lines of credit to bond anticipation and tax exempt financing. Additionally, Mr. Pitchford maintains a broad litigation practice, with extensive experience in medical malpractice litigation and environmental litigation (where he has served as common counsel to a 70 member joint defense group in a CERCLA contribution action). His real estate practice includes both commercial transactions (from single parcel acquisitions to purchases of hundreds of residential real estate units) as well as single family residential real estate. He also provides counsel to mining companies and other owners of mineral rights as to the varied issues concerning oil, gas, coal and hard rock minerals in Kentucky. Mr. Pitchford is a long-standing member of the American Health Lawyer’s Association, and has assisted numerous individual physicians, physician practice groups as well as regional hospitals in navigating business relationships impacted by the Anti-Kickback Act and Stark Law. Mr. Pitchford has extensive appellate experience before both Kentucky state courts as well as the Sixth Circuit and the United States Supreme Court, where, along with C. Thomas Miller of WRHS, he successfully defended the interests of a government contractor in Osborn v. Haley, 549 U.S. 225 (2007); 422 F. 3d 359 (6th Cir. 2005).
Mr. Pitchford has received the AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Licenses and Associations
- Kentucky Bar, 2000
- Virginia Bar, 2014
- United States District Courts for the Western and Eastern Districts of Kentucky
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- American Health Lawyer’s Association
- ABA Torts and Insurance Practice Section Title Insurance Litigation Committee
The Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D. 2000, magna cum laude
- Order of the Coif
- Omicron Delta Kappa (national leadership fraternity founded at Washington and Lee).
Moot Court Board (several awards at various moot court competitions)
- Centre College, B.A. 1997
Publications and Presentations
Impact of the Affordable Care Act:
- Marine Management and Legal Conference
- Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce
- Kentucky Bar Association’s Kentucky Law Update
Paducah Area Chamber of Commerce Board
- Vice Chairman 2013
- Government Affairs Committee 2011, 2012
- Greater Paducah Economic Development Corporation Board.
- Kentucky Defense Counsel, Inc.(Past President)
- Kentucky Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Paducah Rotary Club (Paul Harris Fellow)
- Delta Regional Authority’s Delta Leadership Institute (Graduate)
- River Heritage Museum
- Growth, Inc.
- Paducah Uranium Plant Asset Utilization Task Force
- Paducah-McCracken County Habitat for Humanity, Inc.
- Kentucky Task Force on Future of Horse Racing, (appointed by Governor Beshear in 2008)
- Kentucky Mine Safety Review Commission, appointed Commissioner 2009 to 2014