E. Frederick (Rick) Straub, Jr.
Rick was born in Paducah, Kentucky. He joined Whitlow, Roberts, Houston & Straub, PLLC, in August 1980 and has practiced continuously with the firm since that time.
Mr. Straub has defended insureds for several different insurance companies. He has served as lead counsel in more than one hundred fifty jury trials involving various types of claims. According to the 2014 Edition of the Kentucky Jury Verdict Reporter, Mr. Straub tried more civil cases in Kentucky than any other attorney since at least 2005. Currently, virtually all of his litigation work involves the defense of physicians and health care providers in medical malpractice litigation. Mr. Straub has received the AV Preeminent rating from Martindale-Hubbell annually since 1995. He was named a Kentucky Super Lawyer for Medical Malpractice Defense by Super Lawyers Magazine, and was selected through peer recognition as one of the Best Attorneys in Kentucky by Kentucky’s Best Lawyers for at least the past 10 years.
Mediation as a form of Alternative Dispute Resolution has become a significant part of trial practice. Mr. Straub, in an effort to utilize his vast trial experience in addition to experience in the discovery and settlement of civil cases, has become certified by the Commonwealth of Kentucky Court of Justice as a civil mediator. Certification required a 40-hour course of study, working as a mediator under a mentor and requires annual continuing education. He has participated in courses nationally to assure that he maintains his skills and mediates cases regularly at the request of insurers and attorneys.
Licenses and Associations
- Kentucky Bar, 1980
- United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Court
- American College of Trial Lawyers, Fellow
- McCracken County Bar Association
- Kentucky Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Kentucky Defense Counsel (Board of Directors, 1991-1995)
- International Association of Defense Counsel, Member
Achievements and Recognitions
- Selected as Best Lawyers 2016 Medical Malpractice Defense “Lawyer of the Year” for the Bowling Green Metropolitan Area.
- Selected as a 2015 Best Lawyers in Kentucky.
- 2016 American College of Trial Lawyers Kentucky State Chair.
- Fellow of Litigation Counsel of America. (The LCA, a trial lawyer honorary society, is composed of less than one-half of one percent of American lawyers).
- International Association of Defense Counsel.
- Recognized by The Global Directory of Who’s Who Top Lawyer 2015.
- Centre College of Kentucky, B.A. 1977
- University of Kentucky College of Law (J.D., 1980)
- Kentucky Law Journal, Member of Staff, 1978 to 1980
Publications and Presentations
- OSHA: The Definition of Repeatedly, Section 666(a), 67 Kentucky Law Journal 1054 (1978-1979)
- Kentucky Law Survey-Insurance, 68 Kentucky Law Journal 587 (1979-1980) (addressing many of the early litigation questions related to no-fault insurance following its adoption in 1974)
- Trial Practice and Procedure in Claims Involving Underinsured Motorist Benefits, Bench & Bar, Volume 66, Number 2 (March 2002)
- Annual presentations at risk management seminars and legal seminars, various topics